Sunday 12 July 2009

Baron de Sigognac 10 yo


Part of the pleasure of drinking brandy is that I've usually done no research beforehand When I drink whisky I usually know a little about the distillery style, the bottler and what to expect. With brandy it's a voyage of discovery - I just note down the name of the brandy and the colour, write the tasting note and fill in the details later using the internet. Quite often I discover new and interesting things - like the fact that this particular armagnac is sometimes a blend, and sometimes a single producer armagnac bottled under the negociant's label. In all probability though, this one is blended.

Baron de Sigognac 10 yo

Blended armagnac - Bas Armagnac

40% ABV
Dark gold


Nose: Brown paper, vanilla, orange peel, orange blossom.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, watery around the edges.
Tasting: Sour. Lemon, grapefruit, vanilla, prunes, butter, cream.
Finish: Long. Vanilla, cream, walnut skins.

Comments:

Milky, but not too sweet. There's not enough fruit for my taste in this armagnac, and the slight bitter edge to the finish takes something away from it. It's really quite tart as well. Not what I expected to find when I started delving into the world of armagnac.

Verdict:

Not bad.

Baron de Sigognac is a blended brand sold by ADEX, a firm that also owns the producer Chateau de Bordeneuve. Some of the vintages under these brands are entirely from the Chateau de Bordeneuve vineyard. However, I believe (but can't confirm) that the 10 yo is a blend from more than one vineyard. Tasty nonetheless, although I think it suffers from being diluted to 40%.

Excerpt and revision of a post on an old blog.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online